Our Mission and Ideals
In 1984, North Carolinians for Home Education was organized by homeschool parents to support and encourage home educators and to protect the right to freely home educate in North Carolina. For more than 36 years, NCHE has endeavored to serve the homeschoolers in NC. As in 1984, NCHE continues to work to promote the excellence of home education, provide support for those who choose to do so, and protect the right to homeschool. Our name was selected so as to include all who are for home education, not just those who are currently homeschooling. Most of the work of the ministry of NCHE is accomplished by volunteers.
NCHE has a vision for flourishing families and thriving generations in which people remain passionate, curious and actively engaged in their faith and in their learning. Home education is a great way to educate children, especially young children, and to nurture future generations. Home education situates a child’s development in their natural environment and encourages learning that is experiential and knowledge that is integrated. Home education fosters strong social relations, starting in the home. As a result, home education nurtures the whole child. NCHE encourages parents in their home education and advocates for a state which respects and protects the right of parents to practice home education.
Our mission is to help parents homeschool with confidence and joy! We do this by working to:
- Protect the rights of North Carolina citizens to homeschool,
- Equip families with the information and encouragement they need,
- Connect families with other homeschooling families and groups across the state.
NCHE Core Values
- Parental Authority: The authority and responsibility of educating and raising children belongs to parents.
- Home Education: Home education is effective for establishing academic success, preparation for life, strong family relationships, and moral character.
- Service to All: NCHE welcomes and serves all homeschool families, regardless of race or religious affiliation.
- Biblical Christianity: NCHE operates on the basis of biblical principles, affirms the Nicene Creed, and holds to the authority of Scripture for doctrine and practice. As such, we provide support to Christian parents in helping their children to follow Jesus Christ.
- Educational Excellence
- Parental Authority and Responsibility for Education
- Protection and Promotion of the Family
- Diligence in Moral and Ethical Instruction
- Responsible Citizenship
- Freedom of Choice Among Educational Alternatives
- Defense of Constitutional Rights