Held every two years in Raleigh during the long session of the North Carolina General Assembly. NCHE arranges a special day full of activities for NC homeschoolers to meet with their legislators, attend special workshops on North Carolina’s legislative, executive and judicial systems and enjoy museums. You don’t have to be an NCHE member to attend this event. The workshops are lectures, and the speakers know that they will be speaking to students of all ages.
2017 Capital Fest March 7, 2017
Sign in will start at 8:30 in the 1200 courtyard of the Legislative Building, 16 West Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27601. Enter the building from Jones Street and check with the welcome desk just inside the door to your left. There you can ask for directions to the 1200 courtyard. Due to renovation, the Legislative Building Auditorium is not available to us. Three sessions will be held in the Family Life Center of the First Baptist Church at 101 S. Wilmington Street.
The best time to meet with legislators is in the morning. Call at least a week ahead to a make an appointment with your NC representative and senator. If you don’t know who your representative or senator is click here and follow the instructions.
Bring Homemade Cookies!
We will have a table set up in the 1200 courtyard of the Legislative Building, and we want people to come and learn about home education. We think homemade cookies will create goodwill with our legislators and will attract people to our table.
The deadline for registering for a lunch is 10:00 AM March 3. If you miss this deadline you can still register to participate in the activities, but you are on your own for lunch. To register after the lunch order deadline, send an email with your name, address, phone number and the number of people in your party to :Spencer.Mason@nche.com
2017 Capital Fest Schedule, March 7
- 8:30-9:30 Sign in (1200 courtyard inside the Legislative Building) Sign up for Tour #1 or #2 of the Supreme Court when you sign in.
- 9:30–10:10 Workshop, Lt. Governor, Dan Forest *—The NC Executive Branch (in Family Life Center of the First Baptist Church)
- 10:20–11:00 Workshop, Representative Bert Jones—The NC General Assembly (in Family Life Center of the First Baptist Church)
- 11:10–12:10 Greetings from our government officials (in Family Life Center of the First Baptist Church)
- 11:10–12:10 Tour #1, Supreme Court Justice, Paul Newby—Tour of the Supreme Court and learn about the judicial system. (The Justice Building, 2 E Morgan St, Raleigh, NC 27601)
- 12:10-1:10 Lunch – NC History Museum outdoor picnic area [Order a box lunch (Chick-fil-A sandwich, chips, a chocolate chip cookie and bottled water), or bring your own.]
- 1:10–1:50 Tour #2, Supreme Court Justice, Paul Newby—Tour of the Supreme Court and learn about the judicial system. (The Justice Building, 2 E Morgan St, Raleigh, NC 27601)
- 2:00 House Session begins, The gallery is available for families to sit and listen. (Legislative Building, 3rd floor)
* Lt. Governor Forest may be out of the state on March 7. If he is not available, a substitute from his office will lead this session.