Teen and Alumni Activities
NCHE plans social activities to encourage the friendships of our teens and alumni. All of these activities will have adult supervision. Full conference registration is required for these activities except the college fair.
Teen & Alumni Cotillion-Style Dance: Thursday, 7:30 PM
Historically, dance has been an important social skill. Even our country’s military academies make dance lessons mandatory for young cadets. Dance education develops grace, poise, posture and coordination and has been proven to be an inherent part of our culture. In keeping with these traditions, NCHE will host a dance on Thursday evening from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Pavilion. There will be instruction on dances such as swing, box step and line dancing. This dance, with the emphasis on instruction, will be taught and lead by Dennis Ritchie, a retired homeschool dad who has taught cotillion for more than twenty-five years. Our teacher’s teaching styles will put the students at ease regardless of their ability, and teens are encouraged to dance with many partners. The dress for these dances is modest casual (what you wear to the conference).
Games Social: Friday, 9:30 PM
A games social will be held on Friday night from the closing of the talent show until 10:45 p.m. NCHE will provide cards, board games and group games.
Alumni Coffee Social: Thursday, 9:45 PM
NCHE will host an alumni coffee social on Thursday night after the dance from 9:45 to 11 p.m. Check at registration for the location.
College Fair: Friday, 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
This is an opportunity for students to meet and talk with college recruiters who are interested in homeschooled students. This will be open 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. on Friday and is located the Garden Terrace of the Embassy Suites. See the list of colleges here.
Talent Showcase: Friday, 7:45 PM
The Talent Showcase is always a hit with the teens. Selections are made from auditions.
Special Workshops for Teens
It is a priority of the NCHE conference to offer quality workshops for our homeschooled teens. This year we are particularly excited to share our teen focused speakers with your family. Parents are welcome, of course, but these talks are suitable for teens to attend on their own. If you have teens, or if you are a teen, these should be a must!
- How to Stand for Truth and Be Nice at the Same Time – Jeff Myers
- Growing Wiser: Being Wise in the Age of “Duh” – Jeff Myers
- Truth Changes Everything – Jeff Myers
- Reality, Truth and Jesus – Jeff Myers
- Hearing and Understanding God’s Call on Your Life – Jeff Myers
- Christian Citizenship 1: The 4 Structures of a Healthy Society – Craig Seibert
- Christian Citizenship 2: The Keys to Understanding the Declaration and Constitution – Craig Seibert
- Christian Citizenship 3: Engaging the Culture with Salt, Light & Courage – Craig Seibert
- Slaying Lions – Steve Demme
- What’s in Your Hand? Starting a Micro-business for Teens and Adults – Katie Dugdale & Marji McIlvaine
- Homeschooling Effectively through High School – Diane Allen