Fall 2018 / by Dava Banner
Whether you are a stay-at-home mom or a homeschooler, you will want various activities with friends to enrich your life. Sometimes, you immediately see where you can plug in, and sometimes, you have to dig a little.
If you are the one who can make a plan and seek others to join you, you will all be blessed. What a ministry you will have to families! It’s such a blessing if your children’s activities have a mom benefit, and moms don’t feel like just a chauffeur. Moms want time with other moms to make friends, share ideas and information, recipes and encouragement. You can be friends with whole families. The age and sex of your children don’t have to match exactly. Activities don’t have to break your budget. It is possible to enjoy time with your children without financial pressure. You can plan activities that are weekly or monthly; you might want to include some of each! Be creative! You can make great memories for yourself and others!
Here are some ideas for you if you want to take the initiative to get people together:
- Storytime at the library. Some libraries will let you bring cupcakes once a month to celebrate birthdays. Library outings are a great time to invite folks to go to the park afterward to extend playtime.
- Exercise classes. These can be at the YMCA or gym. You may also find swim lessons for preschoolers and homeschoolers.
- 4-H. Here you will find groups for all interests and ages. If they don’t have what you want, offer to teach!
- Church friend’s playgroup. You can meet at homes, churches or parks.
- MOPS meetings. MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) usually provides childcare for preschoolers while the moms enjoy meeting together. MOPS is a faith-based organization.
- Bowling alley. It might have a homeschool day, or you can set up a group day. (My sons started bowling with help at age two.)
- Skating rink. It might have a homeschool day or set up a group day. (My sons could skate with help at age two and alone at age three.)
- Picnic at the park.
- Kid movies.
- Free ice cream day.
- Chick-fil-A play area.
- Paint pottery.
- Nursing home visits.
- Crafts with grandparents.
- Science center. Nature museum. Zoo. Most of these offer a free day, which is a good time to plan a trip.
- Art classes. Kindermusik classes. Karate. Gymnastics. Many have day classes, so your evenings are still free for family time.