Should I homeschool my children? More and more parents all over the world are asking this question. Many parents in NC are answering “Yes!” As of the 2018-19 school year, there are over 90,000 homeschool families in North Carolina.
Why do people choose to homeschool? There are many reasons: academic excellence, scheduling flexibility, special needs, and freedom to individualize a student’s pace and interests. Parents also want to remove their children from bullying, unnecessary exposure to immorality, and worldviews that are contrary to those of the parents.
You are the only one who can make the decision to homeschool your children. It is an important choice, so you’ll want to take the time to consider all your options, pray about it, and discuss it with your spouse. Here are three practical steps you can take in your decision making process.
Make a list of all of your questions. Most likely, some of them are:
- What are the laws for homeschooling in NC?
- Do I have to have a degree?
- Who will my children spend time with?
- What curriculum will I use?
- What will I do when I don’t know the subject I’m supposed to teach?
- What kind of support will I find in my area?
In the list above, you’ll find some helpful links to get you started on finding answers to these questions. Then keep digging until you get all the information you need.
2. Talk with experienced homeschoolers.
Plenty of people will have views and opinions about home education. There’s no harm in hearing everyone out, but I recommend paying close attention to experienced homeschool parents. Talking with real homeschoolers might prompt you to ask even more questions:
- What does a normal homeschool day look like?
- How do you take care of little ones while educating the older ones?
- How much does it cost?
- Will my kids be able to go to college?
Keep writing down your questions, doing research, and asking experienced homeschoolers for their perspective. You can also talk with the NCHE liaison in your region.
3. Attend the Thrive! Homeschool Conference.
This year the conference is May 28-30, 2020 at the Benton Convention Center in Winston-Salem, NC. We have been equipping, encouraging, and connecting homeschool families through our conference for 35 years. You’ll find:
- Knowledgeable and Inspiring Speakers
- A Huge Vendor Hall
- Fun Teen Activities
- An Engaging Children’s Program
- Encouraging and Inspiring Workshops
- Experienced Mentoring
- An Entertaining Talent Showcase
If you are still deciding about home education, one of the most important aspects of the conference will be the workshops that are especially geared to making this decision and getting started. Another will be the vendor hall, which is full of curriculum, books, and resources. There is also a mentoring table and plenty of experienced homeschoolers all over the place you can talk to.
What is your most pressing homeschool question? Let us know in the comments!