Have you decided to homeschool in North Carolina? Great choice! North Carolinians for Home Education is here to help you homeschool with confidence and joy. Learn more about how we can help and how you can become a member!
In order to open your homeschool in NC, you can take these simple steps.
1. Make sure you understand the homeschool law in NC. You can read about it here.
2. Decide when you are going to begin homeschooling. You may open a homeschool anytime between July and April. If you are starting in the fall, do not open your school until July or later.
3. Create a digital copy of your high school or college diploma. The preferred format is PDF, but you may also use image formats.
4. Go to the web page for File an Intent to Operate a Home School in the Division of Non-public Education site. Follow the instructions there to open your homeschool.
5. Look for a confirmation email from the Division of Non-Public Education. Be sure to check your spam folders.
Once you open your homeschool, you are all set until you are done homeschooling all your children. You do not need to reopen each year. When you are done homeschooling, be sure you notify the DNPE that you are closing your homeschool.